Many cities around the world today are
heavily polluted. Careless manufacturing methods employed by some
industries and absence of consumer demand for environmentally safe
products have been behind the pollution problem. One result is that
millions of tons of glass, paper, plastic and metal containers are
produced, and these are difficult to dispose of.
However, today more and more consumers are choosing ‘green’ and
demanding that the products they buy are safe for the environment.
Before they buy a product, they ask questions like these, Will this product damage the ozone layer
?, Is this package of any danger to the environment
? Or Can this metal container be used once
A recent study showed that two out of five adults now consider the
environmental safety of a product before they buy it. This means that
companies must now change the way they
make and sell their products to make sure that they are ‘green’, that is, friendly to the environment.
Only a few years ago, it was impossible to find green products in
supermarkets, but now there are hundreds. Some supermarket products
have tickets on them to show that the product is green. Some companies
have made the
manufacturing of clean and safe products their
main selling point and insist on it in their advertising.
The concern of a safer and cleaner environment is making companies
rethink how they do business. The public will no longer accept the old
attitude of Buy it, Use it and then Throw it away A
. Answer the questions
- What are the two things that are responsible for the problem of pollution?
- At present, what do some consumers check before they buy any products?
- What shows that the manufacturing companies have started to take environmental safety into consideration?
. True or false? Justify
- According to a recent study,
more than half of adults have started to take the environmental
safety of a product into consideration before buying it.
- Some years ago, only a few green products could be found in supermarkets.
. What do the underlined words in the text refer to
Key Exercise A
- They (§ 3)
- their (§ 4)
- Careless manufacturing methods
employed by some industries and absence of consumer’s demand for
environmentally safe products.
- They check that the products are safe for the environment.
- Some products have tickets on
them to show that the product is green/Some companies have made
the manufacturing of clean and safe products their main selling
- FALSE. Only two out of five adults now consider the environmental safety of a product …
- FALSE. Only a few years ago, it was impossible to find green products in supermarkets.
- some companies